After arriving in Mosocw and a small mix up with what terminal I was in I was met by my Russian friend Masha and her mother, whose workplace I will be attending for work experience. I was told that it would be a twenty minute drive from the airport to the flat but we hit the masses of the Saturday night traffic and ended up in the car for about an hour or so. Always being the optimist I guess it gave me a chance see a bit of the Moscow nightlife. I don't know what I had been expecting my first impressions to be of Moscow, but what I saw was not them. The motorway was massive, in the sense that it was so wide with at four or five lanes, cars were swerving from one lane to another but not in a way that it felt unsafe. The only comparison I think I could make of it would be to say that the roads reminded me of Bangkok, driving from the airport into the city. From the plane when we had been getting ready for landing I got a few sights of Moscow from above and it was interesting to compare them to the ground view. From above many of the streets, and what I presumed were residential areas, were lit up to appear like a maze or labyrinth and I found the patterns of lights and darkness quite idillic, the darkness seemed like the sea and the lights were such that they seemed to look like cruises floating in the ocean.
I arrived at the flat rather exhausted but seemed to find some store of energy to look around all two rooms of it. The flat was Masha's family's guest flat, which they normally rent out at certain parts of the year, but during my stay I would be living there with Masha. After a quick dive onto my new bed Masha's mum made some pancakes, and despite my protests of really not being very hungry (especially after the brilliant homemade banana bread made by my mum), I was forced into trying these Russian pancakes with salmon wrapped up inside them and to be fair, they were really nice and I also had my first mint tea in Russia (with many more to come). Before falling fast asleep that night I managed to stay awake to give Masha and her mum the many gifts I'd brought with me from Wales and I even had a bit of a cultural experience, watching Russia's version of the Voice, known here as Golos, or голос.
Now, today began with a nice lie-in, which with an alarm set for 8:30 may be a bit of an overstatement. Today was also the only chance of a full tour of the city, so Masha got her tour guide hat on and I wrapped up in two coats, scarf and boots to brace the cold outdoors. We firstly walked to the Metro station and went on the underground to the Red Square, where I had the opportunity to take a few pictures and really get a feel of the city.
Masha then took me to probably one of my favourite places in Moscow so far (not that I've seen that much of it yet), somewhere known as an Anti-Cafe. Masha told me that we were going to a place to have a cup of tea and a sit down, so I was walking down the street looking out for some sign of a cafe of some sorts, and it was at this moment that I felt like I was in Harry Potter or something. Suddenly Masha stopped in the middle of the street and turned to the front door of a house with a numbers of flats inside, she pressed the buzzer and said, "Циферблат", meaning, "Dial, " as in on a clock. This was the password to get in, the door opened and we walking up a flight of stairs and entered a door which should have led to a normal flat but instead inside was a counter with a young woman standing behind. Masha explained to me that in this Anti-Cafe you take a clock out of the cupboard and take a seat in one of the many rooms of the flat, you are then free to take cups of tea and small sweet snacks and at the end, instead of paying for all the food and drink you've taken you simply pay for the time you've spent there. In this Anti-Cafe you're also free to play one of the many board games there or even play the piano. Masha told me that this place was very popular with students of history and literature and that there was also an Anti-Cafe used mainly by maths students but that it wasn't as interesting as this one was.
Our next stop on the tour of Moscow was to a Moscow's biggest park, where we met up with a friend of Masha's, Olga. Together we went for a tea ice-cream, one of the weirdest but strangely interesting things I've ever eaten. Then we went on a boat tour of Moscow with Olga and Dasha, another one of Masha's friends. Food was served on the boat and I enjoyed a Capreza salad and salmon with beans in a pumpkin sauce. We all went on the top deck of the boat to look at the sights of Moscow while shivering.
After the boat tour I went with Masha and her mum to go for tea and dessert. We went to a bar restaurant, which was on the top floor of a high rise building in the city centre. The dessert was amazing and the atmosphere in general was extraordinary, another place I would definitely go to again if ever visiting Moscow. The views of the city as night was falling were amazing and the restaurant was so swank and fancy, but I had to gulp when I saw the prices of the desserts, which really did reflect the quality of not only the food but also the place itself.
Now all I can say is that I honestly need my bed to collapse into after such a full-on but exciting today. Tomorrow is the first day at the workplace and I can't wait, but I think my brain needs a little bit of time to rest, I would say it's quite full of everything. Not really helping is the fact that I am speaking English with Masha, German with her mum and listening to Russian everywhere I go, but still it's better than being bored, isn't it.
No comments:
Post a Comment